Saturday, February 17, 2007

Mollie's Story



Mollie was shown as a young dog and garnered 12 points towards her Championship but lacked her majors to finish....but it didn't matter to me. She was destined to become my treasured companion....my first Newfoundland.

I never would have had Mollie were it not for Newf-L. I joined Newf-L in January 2001; for some reason it was slow at work and a "guiding Hand" led me to enter the words "Newfoundland Dog" into the search engine and I found the most delightful world. I had been introduced to Newfoundlands by Phyllis Welch, who was then living in central Pennsylvania and also a member of the Nita-Nee Kennel Club, Inc....and 30 years later I found myself once again drawn toward these gentle, loving creatures.

Some weeks after joining Newf-L, I was privy to a local Newf needing rescued and re-homed and thus Smokey came into my life for a short time. He was a young male owned by the daughter of a lady in my Hospital. He was emaciated and full of mats and just the happiest dog I had ever seen. When I put him in my car ( the trip home was with the 4/55 Air conditioner - 4 windows down and 55 mph because he smelled so terrible ), he settled down because he knew he was going to go to the life that a Newf should have.

I then contacted members of the Heart of America Newfoundland Club ( I had just made application to join ) and after a week Smokey went on to a foster home better able to tend to his immediate needs....but that week spent with Smokey...smelly and matted as he was....convinced me that I had to realize my dream of becoming a Newf Mom.

In May 2001, I was going to foster a female Newf for HANC, but more experienced members determined that my home was not the best one...and I knew I had to wait for the RIGHT one.

Soon after that, I was contacted by Julie Thomas of Windancer Newfoundlands in Elkland, MO....asking if I might consider being Mollie's retirement home. I sent the "infamous" 3 page resume and we spoke often....by phone and e-mail and Julie determined that Mollie and I were meant for each other. Mollie came to live with me on August 3, 2001; I picked her up on the way back from a Medical Records seminar and my life as a Newf Mom began.

Mollie settled in like she'd always been with me....she sleeps in my bedroom every night and although she was informed that she COULD sleep on the bed, she steadfastly takes her self-assigned spot near the door every night.

Mollie is quiet and undemanding....yet very watchful and oh-so-happy to see me when I get home from work....her gentle "BOOF" 's take away all the frustrations of a busy and stressful day at work. She is famous for her "Newfie Nudges" whenever she wants a hug and kiss....or one of her special treats....and of course, what Mollie wants...Mollie gets.

Mollie has her Canine Good Citizen certification from the American Kennel Club and is registered with Therapy Dogs, Inc . Her favourite visits are with children of all ages and this past summer, spent several Wednesday afternoons at the Laquey, MO Elementary school having the summer school children read stories to her and she looked forward to those weekly visits.

Like some Newfs, Mollie is not particularly fond of the water...although I've no doubt that if she saw a child in distress, her innate rescue skills would kick in and she would do what was needed to save that child.

She does, however, enjoy Carting. With he help of Consie Powell's "Newfoundland Draft Training" manual, I was able to cart train Mollie within a very short time and she has made several public appearances in the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life Walk-a-thons and had her photo in the town's daily newspaper. One time, she ( and I ) got to meet Sergeant Major of the Army Jack Tilley, when he came to our area for a special Relay, His entourage found out that there was a big Newfoundland pulling a cart with a sign welcoming him to the event and they searched us out so that SMA Tilley could have his photo taken with us...and that was a real honor for us.

Mollie spends her retired life being loved and cherished and an inspiration for M and Zee's Gourmet Treats and it only seemed right to name the Company after her.

No comments: